speechd-discuss

Speechd is not on PyPI?

From: Rastislav Kish
Subject: Speechd is not on PyPI?
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 07:11:34 +0000

Hello,
the subject basically says it all, there is no PyPI package for speechd,
or am I just searching the wrong keyword? I do remember the script to be
pretty self-contained, so there should be no problem putting it on PyPI,
while it's important when it comes to creating virtual environments,
where you can't access the python3-speechd distributed by Debian unless
you enable using the system site-packages, what however sort of beats
the point of isolation through venvs.

The best solution I see at this point is manually including the script
from the speech dispatcher repo, with the manual removal of the paths
object which seems to be meant for distribution-specific path tweaking
by the package. Although, this solution is quite inconvenient, since
venv is something created on the user's machine, so the setup
instructions in my case will need to describe this process of manual
inclusion.

Best regards

Rastislav