stow-devel

[Stow-devel] Stow patches

From: Jason Heiss
Subject: [Stow-devel] Stow patches
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:22:41 -0800

I just submitted three patches for stow via Savannah and thought I ought
to explain what they did.

The first one is fairly obvious, it implements the use of Getopt::Long
for option parsing.

The second patch adds a --ignore option for ignoring certain files in
the package and stow directories.  --ignore can be specified multiple
times on the command line to ignore more than one thing.  The syntax
used is similar to shell file globbing.  The only metacharacters are *
and ?.

The third patch is actually a result of my first attempt to implement
--ignore.  It serves the same purpose, but instead of shell-style file
globs, it takes Perl regular expressions.  As such, it is much more
powerful.  However, the syntax is a little clumsy for simple things.  So
I renamed this option to --regex and started over.

The --ignore and --regex patches both depend on the getopt patch.
Also, either one will apply cleanly by itself; but since they touch the
same bits of code you can't apply one and then the other.  If anyone
wants both of them, let me know and I'll redo the patches.  My feeling
is that --ignore is probably the one that should be implemented in the
main code base, and --regex can be left as an add-on patch in case
someone wants more power.

Jason  (A happy stow user for many years, and always surprised that
something so powerful is only 500 lines of code.)