stratagus-devel

[Stratagus-devel] RE: Stratagus / Linux feedback and help (verbose)

From: Russell Smith
Subject: [Stratagus-devel] RE: Stratagus / Linux feedback and help (verbose)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:42:41 +1000

> Stratagus fan since the early Ale Clone (time passes by ;-),
> I've closely followed the recent news... I really like
> the way Ingo and the team has made Stratagus and
> the "generic engine" approach. I'm currently
> running the lat
freec***t was getting there, but at a more slowly rate, with a few different
developers, the skills are better suited to making the engine more generic.

> I'd now like to help a bit, moreover pushed by
> the last fact that magnant demo for linux will
> only be available to stratagus coders ;-)
Excellent.  you should pop into the #stratagus channel on irc.freenode.net
there are usually developers there.  if you want to get the magnant beta.
You need to talk specifically to mohydine about it.  again in the channel.

> I'm skilled in c/c++, and currently core members
> or author of various GPL projects, mostly related
> to UPS support (NUT, WMNut, Walnut, ...).
> Linux user for more than 8 years, I'm also an
> official Debian developer.

We are a 100% C shop here :) plus scheme scripting.  If you start developing,
please follow the standards of the current code, it takes a long time to fix
formatting, and it's so easy to get right the first time :)

> I've begun to look at the various tasks and todo
> files and URLs, and thought the [ Task #2577]
> (Remove Hard Coded Critter) would fits me.
> Ahem, not for the moment. I need a bit more
> stratagus knowledge. So, while waiting for it,
> I'd like to have a look at a small, but "usefull"
> unslisted task: make credits' scroll text size
> and position customisable.

That task is part of a much larger task, generic spells.  And most of that is
done,  I have assigned that task to the developer who is merging the patch
for it.  Sorry.

But a good starting task would be this one.
http://savannah.nongnu.org/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=2695&group_id=4772&group_project_id=1166

Check to make sure the engine version is the same as the saved game version.

Also feel free to work on the credits scrolling.  It will be a good feature,
and not something the core developers will be working on at the moment.  We
are in generic mode, not feature mode at the moment.

> I've noticed this "lack" by trying the latest
> stratagus/aleona CVS on my Debian Sid
> (Unstable), checking the Credits menu
> (text not well positioned!). BTW, the
> background is still mentioning freec***t !).
> We should check for an aleona's background
> after ccl externalisation.

I don't understand what you mean about the background mention freecr***t.

> If you have any comments or ideas, please
> tell me back.

> Note that I'll then look for a savanah account,
> when I have sufficient work and knowledge to
> help.

if you start submitting anything, patches/bugs whatever, it's very helpful to
have a savannah account.  We know who is sending what then :)

Russell Smith

Developer