straw-devel

[Straw-devel] keyboard navigation: uglified the UI, won't mind if someon

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: [Straw-devel] keyboard navigation: uglified the UI, won't mind if someone cleans it up
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:47:55 +0200

I've been annoyed at the keyboard navigation in Straw for quite a while,
so at this strategic moment just before the release, I decided to do
something about it! In the process, made the main window look rather
arsey. Oh well. If someone has good ideas about cleaning it up, feel
free.

So, the main idea behind this was to add labels on top of the tree
views. To help screen readers, to comply with the HIG, and to allow for
easy accelerators. It's possible this is totally misguided. Certainly I
couldn't make it look too good. Maybe the change should be reverted, and
I'll do that unless someone has brilliant ideas about it.

I also added padding to the edges of the window, so the Subscriptions:
label wouldn't touch the border (and the HIG says there should be a 12
pixel edge padding, but I'm not sure if it's talking about dialogs only)
The result looks a bit dodgy, or is it just me being used to the old
look?

The worst problem, though, is the way the stuff on top of the article
list now looks. It's just atrocious. I couldn't make the feed name
horizontally align with the Articles: label, and the way the stuff
aligns vertically with the subscriptions list is pretty bad too. Oh
yeah, and it's nasty how the Subscriptions: label is closer to the
toolbar than the feed name. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, and if someone can tell me where the focus goes when you press
ctrl-tab in the html view I'd be grateful :-)

--
[ Juri Pakaste / address@hidden / http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]