straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] Alternating Colors?

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] Alternating Colors?
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:00:29 +0200

I saw this was discussed on IRC, but I thought I'd comment anyway.

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 06:10, Ryan P Skadberg wrote:
> Didn't straw used to do alternating colors on lines in both the feed
> list and the article list?  By alternating colors, I mean just
> white/light grey like evolution.  Seems like it used to be there and now
> has gone away.  Either way, it would be nice to have again (or for the
> first time)

Yeah, it did. Quoth the Gtk reference on gtk_tree_view_set_rules_hint:

This function tells GTK+ that the user interface for your application
requires users to read across tree rows and associate cells with one
another. By default, GTK+ will then render the tree with alternating row
colors. Do not use it just because you prefer the appearance of the
ruled tree; that's a question for the theme. Some themes will draw tree
rows in alternating colors even when rules are turned off, and users who
prefer that appearance all the time can choose those themes. You should
call this function only as a semantic hint to the theme engine that your
tree makes alternating colors useful from a functional standpoint (since
it has lots of columns, generally).

So I suppose what we do now is probably the right thing. Even though I
did prefer the old look, too. I even think the feed list might be a bit
clearer with the alternating colors, but if we enable them there, we
should enable them in the item list, too. It would look silly otherwise.

I dunno, maybe I should just get a theme that always alternated the
colors.

--
[ Juri Pakaste / address@hidden / http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]