straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] proposed tray changes

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] proposed tray changes
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 15:39:52 +0300

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 22:23 +1000, Jan Alonzo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The current tray 'left-click' implementation doesn't go well with the rest of
> the GNOME apps (i.e. gaim, rhythmbox). This is a bit of a surprise to the new
> user since a left-click normally hides or presents the window to the user's
> screen. What I want to propose is to change the behaviour of the left-click so
> that it sticks to the convention of hiding and unhiding the window. The
> problem is what button should the scrolling go? Since the right-click is
> normally reserved for popups, this leaves us using the middle-button.
>
> So should we put the scrolling in the middle button ? Any comments?

Please reconsider. I don't think minimize to tray is a conceptually
sound idea.

Straw uses the notification area thingy for notification, not to tell
the user that Straw is running. This is a good thing, that's what the
notification area is for. The primary action - and left click is the
primary way to interact with things on your screen - of the notification
area icon should be something that has something to do with the
notification. Minimizing the window has nothing to do with the reason
for the notification. It's a completely different function, and because
the notification area icon isn't visible all the time, the user can't
consistently use the notification area icon for minimizing the window.
Indeed, it seems likely that the user would most like to use it for
minimizing when there's nothing to read in the Straw window. In that
situation, the icon is not available.

--
[ Juri Pakaste | address@hidden | http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]