straw-devel

[Straw-devel] Re: 2 feature suggestions

From: Jan Alonzo
Subject: [Straw-devel] Re: 2 feature suggestions
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 21:52:53 +1000

Steve Laniel <address@hidden> writes:

> 1) Will we be able to copy text out of posts soon? If I knew
> what was blocking that feature, perhaps I could help code it.

Yes, my recent commit does that (patch-145).

> 2) It'd be nice to be able to filter individual feeds on
> various criteria. So for instance, I'd like people to be
> able to visit my blog but block all posts on Linux if that
> doesn't interest them.
>
> The UI for that would be pretty straightforward: right-click
> on a feed and up comes a 'Filter' dialogue box. The dialogue
> I have in mind looks like the packet filter in Ethereal.
> There would be a list of standard XML tags from the RSS
> spec, like 'category' or 'author', a list of predicates ('is
> equal to,' 'contains' etc.), and a fill-in field for the
> value ("Author contains 'laniel'").
>
> Then there could be a global filter, applying the
> feed-specific filter UI to every subscribed feed. This could
> get messy, though, because you'd want users to be able to
> see which filters are applying to each feed -- so you'd want
> the UI to indicate 'Global filters applying to this feed'
> and 'Filters which apply just to this feed.'

Please file 2) in the bugzilla so it won't get lost, and something to remind
the developers when they happen to visit bugzilla. Filtering would be great,
but you might wanna create a separate feed for non-linuxy stuff as an interim
solution. That's the easiest solution to your problem, I thnk.

> It's a thought. I've never done any Python or GNOME
> development, but I'd love to help out.

You don't have to be a coder to help out Straw or any open source project. Bug
reports and/or documentation normally suffice. Patches and code are extras.
:)

Cheers,

--
Jan Alonzo                          <address@hidden>