Re: [STUMP] gnome-panel doesn't notice killed windows?

From: James Wright
Subject: Re: [STUMP] gnome-panel doesn't notice killed windows?
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:07:47 -0800

[Resending, since I accidentally sent to Shawn instead of the list.  Sorry.]

Hi Shawn,

I'm using stock ubuntu 8.04 as well (gnome-panel version 2.22.2), and
the git version of stumpwm.  I built stumpwm on my own machine using
the latest versions of clx etc., downloaded and built using clbuild.

My report in my previous email was incomplete.  It turns out that a
window being closed is reflected as soon as something else gets focus,
but not beforehand.  So in particular, if I kill every window in a
tile-group, the last window stays in the panel until I start something
else.

My gnome-panel looks a little funny under stumpwm.  I assume it can't
get the theme configuration that it wants because I either didn't run
it with the proper arguments or there is some other gnome support
program that I should be running but I'm not (I just start gnome-panel
from .stumpwmrc on its own).  Is it possible that the same problem is
causing this behaviour?

This is a more complete repro script that might make the bug a little clearer:

1. In an empty tile group, split the screen into 3 frames (the details
don't matter)
2. Start 3 terminals, one in each frame.  Gnome-panel is correct,
contains 3 terminals.
3. Kill one of the terminals.  An empty frame now has focus, and
gnome-panel is wrong, still containing 3 terminals.
4. Move focus to one of the other frames.  A live terminal window gets
focus, gnome-panel is now correct, containing 2 terminals.
5. Kill another terminal.  Same situation as step 3: Empty frame is
focused, gnome-panel still contains the killed terminal.
6. Move focus to last terminal, gnome-panel becomes correct.
7. Kill the last terminal, gnome-panel is wrong (still contains last terminal).

Is there any other information I could give you to make this easier to
track down?

Thanks!
     James