[STUMP] Where do these environmental variables come from?

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: [STUMP] Where do these environmental variables come from?
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 00:01:46 +0100

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes. I am
starting stumpWm from gdm (on Ubuntu natty) using a file stumpwm.desktop
in /usr/share/xsessions :

=========stumpwm.desktop=======

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=XSession
Exec=/home/consultant/bin/stumpwm
TryExec=/home/consultant/bin/stumpwm
Name=StumpWM
Comment=Stump Window Manager

======end of file==========

I was looking for an environmental variable I could use to tell emacs if
stumpwm was running and so I did "set | grep stump" :

===========================

address@hidden:~$ set | grep stump
DEFAULTS_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/stumpwm.default.path
DESKTOP_SESSION=stumpwm
GDMSESSION=stumpwm
MANDATORY_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/stumpwm.mandatory.path
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-stumpwm:/usr/share/ubuntustudio-menu/:/etc/xdg/
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/stumpwm:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/

Presumably gdm sets GDMSESSION and DESKTOP_SESSION from the name of the
exec file, but what puzzles me is what the other variables are for.
None of the files or directories containing the word "stumpwm" actually
exist.  Can anyone enlighten me?  I hate it when I don't understand
something!

Thanks,

Bernard.