Re: [STUMP] multi-head setup

From: Mehul Sanghvi
Subject: Re: [STUMP] multi-head setup
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 14:19:08 -0500

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 18:07, David Cohen <address@hidden> wrote:

> And a more complicated question for my setup...  When I switch groups, both
> monitors switch.  Is there any way to associate a group with a head, instead
> of a screen?

I've been looking for this and so far have not been able to
find anything that works in that manner.  What I would like
is for every physical monitor to be associated with a group/virtual desktop
automagically if it detects an external monitor being attached and available.

I've tried this with Xfce4, LXDE, scrotwm, openbox and vtwm.
None of them automagically did anything.  I had to manually enable
the external screen using xrandr / arandr and get the behaviour I wanted.
arandr is awesome to setup multiheads.  I used it to generate scripts
that use xrandr and now use the scripts from the command line.

Would be nice if stumpwm would just detect that there is a second monitor
or third or 4th monitor available and just start using them.  Or stop using them
as they get turned off.

Here are the command lines I use:

#### LVDS1 = laptop screen
#### VGA1 = analog connection to external monitor
#### DP1 = digital connection to external monitor.

## two screens.  laptop in front of me, external to the right of me.
--primary is used
## so that stumpwm does not move the mode-line to the external monitor.  stumpwm
## I believe presumes that the new external connection is the primary one.
## Both screens are set to their individial highest available resolution
xrandr --output LVDS1 --primary --mode 1680x1050 --pos 0x0 --rotate
normal --output DP1 --off --output VGA1 --mode 1920x1200 --pos 1680x0
--rotate normal

## same as above, but using the same resolution for both screens
xrandr --output LVDS1 --primary --mode 1680x1050 --pos 1680x0 --rotate
normal --output DP1 --off --output VGA1 --mode 1680x1050 --pos 0x0
--rotate normal

## both monitors show the same output, aka mirroring
## I switch to this before I turn off the external monitor because
## otherwise with stumpwm you end up loosing the frame that was
## on the external monitor, unless you do a restart-soft.
xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1680x1050 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal
--output DP1 --off --output VGA1 --mode 1680x1050 --pos 0x0 --rotate
normal

cheers,

       mehul

--