Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm-devel Digest, Vol 98, Issue 2

From: Ruthard Baudach
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm-devel Digest, Vol 98, Issue 2
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 09:43:33 +0200

>== Auszüge aus der Nachricht von  Stefan Reichör vom 2013-06-12 08:18:
>
> Did you setup some window placement rules?
>
> Here is part of the things that I am doing:
>
> ,----
> | ;; Clear rules
> | (clear-window-placement-rules)
> |
> | (define-frame-preference "System"
> |   ;; frame raise lock (lock AND raise == jumpto)
> |   (0 t   t :title "htop")
> |   (0 t   t :title "aumix")
> |   )
> |
> | (define-frame-preference "Default"
> |   ;; frame raise lock (lock AND raise == jumpto)
> |   (0 t   t :title "emacs")
> | ;;  (0 t   t :class "Xpdf")
> |   )
> |
> | (define-frame-preference "Misc"
> |   ;; frame raise lock (lock AND raise == jumpto)
> |   (0 t   t :class "Firefox")
> |   )
> |
> | (run-commands "gnewbg System" "gnewbg Misc")
> `----
>
> The important thing is to find out the match properties for your applications.
>
> I use show-window-properties to display them. I have bound it to the
> root-map to make the command easy accessible:
>
> (define-key *root-map* (kbd "I") "show-window-properties")

There is a command (dump-window-placement-rules file) to dump the
current placemnt to a file for use with
(restore-window-placement-rules file)

Thus, in a nutshell, you have to create the group layout you want by hand,
dump the layout (which contains only the frames you created) with
(dump-group-to-file file) or (dump-desktop-to-file file) -- the latter
will dump ALL groups, the first one only the current group --

and dump the window placement rules which tell stumpwm which window has
to be placed in which fram with

(dump-window-placement-rules file).

to restore you have to do the reverse:
(restore-from-file my-layout)
(restore-window-placement-rules my placement-rules)
(launch all applications you want)

Greetings,

Ruthard