Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm as a GNU project

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm as a GNU project
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 11:08:47 -0500

Hi,

I haven't quite figured out the benefits apart from being recognized by GNU as part of the ecosystem. Here's the page for getting stumpwm evaluated by GNU: http://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html

I was wrong about reassigning copyright. After reading the evaluation I still don't want to get the official GNU label since it requires realigning the project's philosophy with GNU's aggressive free software policies. Specifically everything in stumpwm and it's dependencies must be gpl. This means that a number of contrib modules will have to be removed and adding new dependencies in the future will be restricted.

PS I've added Shawn to the discussion. I defer to his wishes since he was the original author.

    David