Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm in 1 year, 5 years and 10 years

From: Jason McBrayer
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Stumpwm in 1 year, 5 years and 10 years
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 12:37:50 -0400

David Bjergaard writes:
<Vision for Stumpwm on Wayland and beyond>

First, thank you for all the work you've done.

I'm actually pretty excited about this. I've tried many tiling window
managers, and Stumpwm is the only one I haven't "bounced off of". I
can't run it currently because my desktop environment is on Wayland, and
the only thing that really works properly on Wayland right now is Gnome
(which I *like*, it generally stays out of your way).

There's currently one tiling compositor for Wayland, which is Sway, a
port of i3wm. It's good, probably, but has some lacking features, like
syncing clipboards between Wayland and X, which I can't live without.
Also, I have trouble understanding its nested window layouts.

The hard thing about a transition to Wayland will be the fact that a
Wayland compositor has to do a lot more than an X11 window manager.
There are a lot of things that helper apps could do under X that can
only be done by the compositor under Wayland. There are a few libraries
to help doing this (swc, wlc, ewlc). But I don't think any of them work
all that well?

Oh, there are CL bindings for libwayland
(https://github.com/malcolmstill/cl-wayland). So that would probably be
the way forward. It's currently used to implement an FVWM-like
compositor.

| Jason F. McBrayer                         address@hidden  |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |