summer-of-code

Re: Octave / Savane

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave / Savane
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 15:16:57 -0400

2012/3/7 Giuseppe Scrivano <address@hidden>:

>> Something unrelated to Octave, I would like to see the Savane project
>> get some love this GSoC. How can I add this to the ideas page and
>
> I can add this idea to the list.  Can you please send to me few lines
> describing it so I can add them to the page?

Savane is a Django project, so it should be relatively an easy project
to get into.

How about something like this?

    Savane is the piece of software that runs Savannah: it interfaces
    users and system administration. Savane manages a list of members
    and services for each project, and provides a flexible
    bug/task/support tracker. It's also responsible for replicating
    project services (Git, Bazaar, mailing lists, webpages, etc.) to
    the system. You can see it in action at

        http://savannah.gnu.org

    Its current codebase is inadequate for a number of tasks, the
    interface is clunky, and there are several architectures issues.
    For this reason, Savane is in the middle of a complete rewrite in
    Python and Django, and is not ready to replace the old PHP
    codebase. A successful student should implement enough of the
    current TODO in the top-level git directory so that the Python
    rewrite can replace the current PHP codebase.

    The git repository can be found here:

        http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/savane.git

I of course offer myself as a mentor.

- Jordi G. H.