summer-of-code

Re: Fwd: GSoC 2012: Mentor application?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Fwd: GSoC 2012: Mentor application?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 20:57:51 +0200

Giuseppe Scrivano <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Alfred M. Szmidt) writes:
>
>>    >> So they go through the same registration hassle as students, and
>>    >> a mentor is later formally associated with its student (mentors
>>    >> who get no students don't get paid).
>>    >
>>    > This is a bit misleading, especially on this list. Orgs get paid,
>>    > not mentors. Some orgs redistribute this money to the mentors; GNU
>>    > hasn't generally done this.
>>
>>    That is sad :( For all their hard work mentors deserve to be rewarded.
>>    Oh, well, i stand corrected then.
>>
>> The reward is computer user freedom.
>
> absolutely right, but on the other hand there is some money and who
> deserves it more than who is doing the real job?

Maybe that's why many small projects try to apply as new Orgs: they want
the money for themselves* as organizations.

But once a project has the opportunity to put itself under the umbrella
of an GSoC-accepted organization, it seems fair to me that mentors of
this project leave the money where it goes.

Whether umbrella (e.g GNU) should try to fund (sub)projects (e.g. Emacs)
by making (regular) donations to them is another issue, not solely tied
to the GSoC mentoring thingy.

Just 2 cents,

* Or they don't want to depend on the organizational capacities of
  the umbrella organization.

--
 Bastien