summer-of-code

Re: [Savane-dev] Donating Savane to GNU

From: Sylvain
Subject: Re: [Savane-dev] Donating Savane to GNU
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:19:46 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:07:33AM -0400, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
> Right now, Savane isn't a GNU package. Can we make it one? It's
> abandoned, and I know you think the Python rewrite isn't good, but I
> think it can be made to work. Can you disavow ownership of the Python
> Savane so we can make it an official GNU package and thus allocate
> GSoC slots to it?

As per http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.en.html Savane doesn't
have "owners" :) but as far as I'm concerned you can go ahead.
Savane is de-facto without maintainer for a couple years, it wouldn't
make sense for anybody to object.
Anticipate some delays with GNU evaluation though.

Mickael, I granted you admin privs on gna.org/p/savane, you may grant
privileges to Jordi (I didn't find Jordi's account at Gna).

The Python rewrite _is_ a good foundation to start a distributed
forge, but if you plan to keep the centralized model, I believe it
would be more efficient to join FusionForge - IMHO.

Other details:

- savane-forge.org is managed by FSF France.  See with address@hidden if you
  need administrative assistance.

- demo.savane-forge.org was provided by Bearstech but was reused due
  to inactivity a while ago.  See with address@hidden if this could be
  donated again, if needed.

- I'd appreciated if someone could take over moderation of the
  savane-* lists :)

Cheers!
Sylvain