summer-of-code

Re: GNU Social

From: Diogo Cordeiro
Subject: Re: GNU Social
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 00:59:27 +0000

Hey! :)

Well, based on that, I think the current GNU Social HTML snippet would be something like:
<h3 id="social"><a href="" href="http://www.gnu.org/software/social">http://www.gnu.org/software/social">GNU Social</a></h3>

<h4 id="social-activitypub-support">
  Get (at least basic) ActivityPub support via a plugin into GNU Social
</h4>

  There are some architectural ideas/philosophies that make parts of AP
  hard to implement - the private message bits primarily.
  Supporting AP would be greatly benificial to the fediverse - especially
  when it comes to simplifying app/client development, since that's part
  of the spec and something OStatus does not cover.

  <strong>Skills</strong>: Good understanding of PHP, being able to read
  someone else's code, being able to follow a comphreensive spec.<br>

<h4 id="social-database-migration">
  Migrate GNU Social's database
</h4>

  Much desired large and tedious task.

  <strong>Skills</strong>: Good understanding of PHP and SQL,
  being able to read someone else's code.<br>
I am interested in getting the basic ActivityPub support done (or at least spend the summer trying) ^^.
For now, I think this still can be considered to be a draft as there is still time both for other ideas and to volunteers for mentor (related thread: https://git.gnu.io/gnu/gnu-social/issues/304 ). :)

Regards,
Diogo

Thanks for getting in touch on IRC. I think a great GSoC would be to get
(at least basic) ActivityPub support via a plugin into GNU social. There
are some architectural ideas/philosophies that make parts of AP hard to
implement - the private message bits primarily.

Supporting AP would be greatly benificial to the fediverse - especially
when it comes to simplifying app/client development, since that's part
of the spec and something OStatus does not cover.

Database backend migration is another, albeit probably too large and
tedious, task that is much desired.

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
https://blog.mmn-o.se/