swarm-hackers

Re: [swarm-hackers] swarm 2.3.0 release

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] swarm 2.3.0 release
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 00:59:48 -0700

PJ> Steve Railsback wrote:
SC> I'm not sure if moving Swarm to tcl/tk 8.5 is an easy or hard
SC> task.
>>>>

> Maybe I'm just adding confusion, but did we just figure out that the
>> problem is BLT not working with Tcl/tk 8.5? So the real problem is
>> version of BLT that works with both Tcl/tk 8.5 and Swarm?
>>
>> (Could we package a version of BLT that works with tcl/tk 8.5 with
>> Swarm??)
>>

PJ> I believe BLT DOES work with tcl.tk8.5.

PJ> I was laboring to explain before. I think the Ubuntu Interpid
PJ> problem traces back to the fact they are trying to provide blt for
PJ> both 8.4 and 8.5 at the same time, but it appears as though the
PJ> newest one only works. In the previous Ubuntu, they accomodated
PJ> 8.3 and 8.4, but we were only using the 8.4 part, not the 8.3
PJ> edition.

PJ> Well, I've used up one day's worth of concentration on this.

Which version(s) of blt is known to work with tcl/tk 8.5 (or tcl/tk
8.4)?  This will enable me to look into whether the Fedora blt package
needs to be updated.  Looking at the Fedora build system, koji, it
looks like it is blt-2.4z on F-9 through F-11:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=1405

There are also some patches included.

Alex