SMod: List dynamics

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: SMod: List dynamics
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:48:40 -0700

With the addition of two new lists (swarm-modelling and
swarm-gis), I've decided it's time to get a little more
sophisticated with the delivery and content of the mailing
lists.  So, as usual, I'd like your input on a couple
questions:

1) Since we now have 4 lists (announce, support, gis, modelling),
simply subscribing the swarm-support list to the swarm-announce
list doesn't cut it.  It's conceivable that someone may want to
be members of both swarm-announce and swarm-modelling but not
swarm-support or swarm-announce and swarm-support but not
swarm-modelling.  (I'm presuming that most of the people on swarm-gis
will be members of one of the other two lists, so it's not as much
of a consideration, here.)

Now, the *best* way I can see this happening is to subscribe anyone
who is a member of any one of the other three lists to the announce
list.  That prevents duplicate posts to any list member and allows
all the people on one of the other three lists to receive posts to
swarm-announce, as well.

Does this sound right?

Of course, the problem is automating the subscription to swarm-announce
and triggering that subscription from a user-initiated subscription
to one of the other lists.... But, I presume I can deal with that.

2) I've added prefixes to the "Subject:" fields of messages from each
of the support, gis, and modelling lists so that anybody out there
using a mailer (or a mail filter) that is capable of sorting the mail
can do so based on that prefix.

  a) Do you like this or dislike it?
  b) Would you prefer different prefixes?  (currently, they're
     "SSup," "SGIS," and "SMod")

3) I've added a footer to each message with a short description of
the lists purpose and a hint at how to use majordomo (as was
suggested by a person who didn't know how to unsub).  Again, let
me know if this is ok and feel free to criticize my wording.

4) Digests are coming!  We don't have them automated yet.  But,
it should be ok for now.  The list is calm.  I'll let you know when
we have them up.

glen