forwarded from Michael Lissack (boston CS conf.)

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: forwarded from Michael Lissack (boston CS conf.)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:15:16 -0600

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Michael Lissack <address@hidden>
Sender: Complexity and Management Mailing List
              <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject:      [Fwd: Complex Systems Conference and Book]
Date:         Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:56:35 -0400

---------------------forward from Sean Pidgeon---------------------
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 12:52:55 -0400
From: Sean Pidgeon <address@hidden>
Subject: Complex Systems Conference and Book
To: address@hidden

Dear Dr Lissack:

I have appended below an announcement for a multidisciplinary
conference on complex systems, to be chaired by Prof. Yaneer Bar-Yam
of Boston University under the auspices of the New England Complex
Systems Institute. The meeting has been organized in partnership with
Oxford University Press. A book provisionally entitled "Complex
Systems: A Multidisciplinary Sourcebook", to be edited by Dr. Bar-Yam
and published by OUP, will draw upon the multidisciplinary themes and
participants in the conference.

The conference will, we hope, attract participation from many areas of
scientific research. I would be most grateful if you could forward to me or
to Dr. Bar-Yam (address@hidden) any names (or mailing lists) of
other researchers who might be interested in attending or participating in
the meeting. We are particularly interested in knowing which individuals
can speak or write about significant contributions to our understanding
of the universal properties of complex systems -- e.g. as articulated in the
themes section of the conference announcement -- and their application
across disciplinary boundaries.

Many thanks.

Sean Pidgeon
Senior Editor
Oxford University Press
198 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016

phone: (212) 726-6134
fax: (212) 726-6445
address@hidden
http://www.oup-usa.org/acadref/sdp.html

phone: (212) 726-6134
fax: (212) 726-6445
address@hidden
http://www.oup-usa.org/acadref/sdp.html

First Announcement
                        International Conference
                                  on
                            COMPLEX SYSTEMS

                              Boston Area
                          September 21-26, 1997

Host: New England Complex Systems Institute
                                           http://necsi.org
                                           address@hidden
With: Oxford University Press

Conference Chairman: Yaneer Bar-Yam

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:
Philip Anderson - Princeton University
Kenneth J. Arrow - Stanford University
Per Bak - Niels Bohr Institute
Charles H. Bennett - IBM
William A. Brock - University of Wisconsin
Charles R. Cantor - Boston University
Noam A. Chomsky - MIT
Leon Cooper - Brown University
Daniel Dennett - Tufts University
Irving Epstein - Brandeis University
Michael S. Gazzaniga - Dartmouth College
William Gelbart - Harvard University
Murray Gell-Mann - CalTech / Santa Fe Institute
Pierre-Gilles de Gennes - ESPCI
Stephen Grossberg - Boston University
Michael Hammer - Hammer & Co
John Holland - University of Michigan
John Hopfield - Princeton University
Jerome Kagan - Harvard University
Stuart A. Kauffman - Santa Fe Institute
Chris Langton - Santa Fe Institute
Richard C. Lewontin - Harvard University
Andrew W. Lo - MIT
Marvin Minsky - MIT
Alan Perelson - Los Alamos National Lab
Herbert A. Simon - Carnegie Mellon University
Temple F. Smith - Boston University
H. Eugene Stanley - Boston University
James H. Stock - Harvard University
Gerald J. Sussman - MIT
Edward O. Wilson - Harvard University

SUBJECT AREAS: UNIFYING THEMES IN COMPLEX SYSTEMS
Sessions will be structured around both themes and systems.

The themes are:

EMERGENCE, STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION: substructure; the
relationship of component to collective behavior; the
relationship of internal structure to external influence.

INFORMATICS: structuring, storing, accessing, and
distributing information describing complex systems.

COMPLEXITY: characterizing the amount of information
necessary to describe complex systems, and the dynamics
of this information.

DYNAMICS: time series analysis and prediction, chaos,
temporal correlations, the time scale of dynamic processes.

SELF-ORGANIZATION: Evolution, development and adaptation.

The system categories are:

FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPLEX SYSTEMS: Complexity,
emergence,
chaos, fractals, non-equilibrium processes, dynamic
scaling, information and computation in physical systems.

MOLECULAR SYSTEMS: Chemical dynamics, complex fluids,
molecular self-organization, membranes, protein and DNA
folding, bio-molecular informatics.

CELLULAR SYSTEMS: Cellular response and communication,
genetic regulation, gene-cytoplasm interactions,
development, cellular differentiation, primitive
multicellular organisms, the immune system.

PHYSIOLOGICAL SYSTEMS: Nervous system, neuro-muscular
control, neural network models of brain, cognition,
psychofunction, pattern recognition, man-machine
interactions.

HUMAN SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC SYSTEMS: Corporate and
social
structures, markets, the global economy, the Internet.

PEDAGOGICAL SESSIONS: The conference will include
pedagogical sessions on Sunday, Sept. 21.

** A detailed announcement including instructions
for submission of abstracts will follow.**

If you want to receive future announcements about
this conference, please e-mail us at address@hidden

Include:

Preferred e-mail address:  _________________________

If you want to be removed from this list please send us a
note including the statement:
"Please remove my e-mail address from this list."
and include the e-mail address from which you received
this announcement.

- --------------03B6B28B4FD021B0B3FAF09B--