Re: mathematical nonsense

From: Doug Donalson;
Subject: Re: mathematical nonsense
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 21:45:38 -0700 (PDT)

I want to thank Mark and Chris for holding a mirror up to my face.  I
can't read the last two articals without feeling somewhat shagrined
as I have had a part in a piece of this discussion that should never have
started.

There is no place in this group for name calling and trashing of others
viewpoints.  This includes my comment that the truth hurts (or some such
stupid thing.)  At least in the area of theoretical population ecology,
people who have attempted to introduce spatially-explict individual-based
models have been met (by some) with scepticisum and sometimes disdain.
It is very easy to fall into the same trap and find all the faults of the
more mainstream ODE type models.

Engaging in trash talk does nothing but set back the real purpose (I hope?)
of better understanding complex interactions.  There is no point in
rejecting potentially useful tools (ODE or ABM) either because of "not
invented here" or "you trash me so I'll trash you".  At UCSB we are using
analytical or numerical solutions of ODE type models as a first step in
understanding and verifying the more complex models.

Science involves the exchange of ideas in a conflict/resolution format.
This can be done in either a postive or negative manor ( pun intended :-) )
This is something my advisor (Roger Nisbet) has gently tried to pound
into my thick skull.  The best justification for complex models is good
structured analysis of their strengths and weakneses.  Comparision
between these and the simpiler models will allow us to understand when
various assumptions are or are not valid and give us a better
understanding of the level of detail necessary in a model to gain insite
into a particular problem.

There is a place in this email group for anyone who is working with
SWARM and this is a very valuable thread.  I hope it continues.  Lets try
to keep the debate to constructive comments.

Cheers,

   Doug Donalson

* Doug Donalson                          * Office: (805) 893-2962         *
* Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology * Home:   (805) 961-4447         *
* UC Santa Barbara                       * email address@hidden
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106                *                                *
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that             *
*   hearlds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but        *
*   "That's funny ...?"                                                   *
*       Isaac Asimov                                                      *