Re: When agents cross paths?

From: Bohdan DURNOTA
Subject: Re: When agents cross paths?
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:54:26 +1000 (EST)

> Hello group
>
> Here is a question that I got thinking about today.
>
> Imagine that you have a 2D (or anything-D) surface with things (agents)
> running around on it in a random fashion, such as the simpleSwarmBugs in
> the tutorial. Does anyone know of a way to find the expectation that
>
> a) a particular point (cell) on a discretized surface would be trodden
> upon more than once,
>
> b) a particular point (cell) on a discretized surface would be trodden
> upon by one or more individuals, and
>
> c) any two paths cross each other (discrete or continuous surface).
>
> These would each obviously be a function of the density of individuals
> in the space and the amount of time that the simulation runs.  I am not
> sure of what other factors would be relevant yet.
>
> Has anyone on this list had to deal with a formal description of this?
> Could anyone point me to an article or textbook that discusses anything
> similar?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> --
> /**********************************************************************/
> /*  Paul Box                      |        Cogito ergo                */
> /*  Dept. of Geography            |      Oculum Dioscoreum            */
> /*  University of Florida         |                                   */
> /*  address@hidden   |     (I think, therefor            */
> /*  http://grove.ufl.edu/~sanduku |           eye yam)                */
> /*                                |                                   */
> /**********************************************************************/
>

>                   ==================================
>    Swarm-Modelling is for discussion of Simulation and Modelling techniques
>    esp. using Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp. [un]subscribing),
>    please send a message to <address@hidden> with "help" in the
>    body of the message.
>                   ==================================

Paul,

You have brought up a topic I am working on right at the present
time. I am in the midst of completing a series of simulations,
as well as some theoretical work, of how the *visitation
surfaces* (the number of visits per lattice site) evolve over
time for some particular agent models man-environment
interactions.

This is analogous to a certain stream of work in condensed matter
physics to do with surface/domain growth -- such as in
molecular beam epitaxy -- like ballistic deposition (BD).
A good book to look at is *Fractal concepts in surface growth*
by Albert-Laszlo Barabasi and H. Eugene Stanley, 1995.
There's a lot of concepts floating around in the area (and
more generally), such as scaling, universality, criticality, etc.

If you want, I can provide a copy of my draft paper/simulations
when thet are complete in a few weeks.

Cheers, Bohdan

Bohdan Durnota
Department of Computer Science          Parkville 3052
Melbourne University                    Australia

interests: multiagent & complex adaptive systems,
        formal methods/software architectures

email:  address@hidden
phone:  +61-3-93449116
fax:    +61-3-93481184