Polarized distributions...

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Polarized distributions...
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 22:05:39 -0700

I have been running my voting model simulations assuming a uniform
distribution of voters across the issue space.  I am going to do some more
runs looking at the impact of using a normal distribution (easy enough to
change the distribution in Swarm.)  But, I also want to represent a
randomly generated electorate with a distribution that is polarized -- very
few voters in the middle and increasing numbers towards the extreme.  I was
wondering if anyone had an easy way to generate such a distribution.

Flipping through William Greene's Econometrics text I note that the Beta
distribution can be U-shaped (which is what I am looking for).  The text
does not say what parameters would create that shape, and I am not sure how
to write a distribution object in Swarm.

Thanks in advance...

        Darren

                 Darren Schreiber
                  Attorney at Law