Re: Special Issue of JASS Journal

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Special Issue of JASS Journal
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:48:24 -0500

To the editors of JASS:

I welcome the invitation to submit to your new journal. Its subject matter is of great interest to me (and not just the special issue advertised.)

I feel I should point out one obvious irony, however: you want to run an issue on electronic commerce, yet your journal (from what I can gather at its web site) will be a traditional ton-of-paper-sent-through-the-mail publication!

Let me humbly suggest that you wake up and smell the roses: dispense with your expensive traditional publisher, post your journal matter on the web for download, and charge enough to cover your editorial expenses (if Society memberships don't cover your costs.) Let your readers decide which parts, if any, they wish to commit to paper. The traditional publishing method is insanely wasteful, as evidenced by your suggested subscription prices ($150 for 3 issues!)

The whole purpose of an academic journal is (was?) the widest possible dissemination of scientific information, and with the distribution methods currently at our disposal, that purpose would seem best served by web publishing.

And don't worry about the journal's prestige: ultimately, it is the quality of the content and the integrity of the reviewing process that matters, not whether a 'prestige' publisher is handling the printing process ...

(My apologies to Cambridge International Scientific Publishing for raining on their parade ;-)

Sincerely,
Sven Thommesen
Auburn University