Re: Coding your own

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Coding your own
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 08:45:29 -0700

At 08:22 AM 5/8/00 -0700, you wrote:
So: I'm trying to decide how much to say about this issue in a paper I'm
preparing to submit. Feedback?

Heh, I can't help decide how much of this you should put in a paper;
but, I can say that I agree wholeheartedly.  However, the important
caveat is that the modeler can't be ignorant of the code anymore
than the coder can be ignorant of the model.  The *primary* aspect
that needs to be present is to have experts in at least two domains,
programming and modeling (in their respective macro-domains, obviously,
like "programming simulations" and "modeling fish populations").  Then
each of these experts has to have more than a passing interest in
the other domain and a willingness to play what-if games with their
partners.

If you have that, then you truly do not need to do it all yourself.
You can build up enough trust in your partners to "do the right thing"
in their domain because you've learned enough to satisfy yourself.

glen

--
glen e. p. ropella =><= The front line is everywhere. Hail Eris!
Home: http://forager.swarm.com/~gepr            (505) 424-0448