More Questions about analysing ABMs

From: Docgca
Subject: More Questions about analysing ABMs
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 17:50:45 EDT

Dear List,

Thank you for all your responses to my previous post.  I've looked at most of
the references and still have some questions.  I would greatly appreciate any
comments on the following statements (don't hold back!):
1)  It seems as if most systems being studied with ABM have at the most a few
examples of real-world reference systems (things like evolution, origin of
life, specific ecosystems, the economy).  The advantage of the A-life/ABM
approach is to provide what people have called "alternate runs of the tape"
and comparing the simulations/models the existing system looking for common
patterns and behaviors.
2)  However, since there is often only one reference system, it is difficult
to draw conclusions regarding "validity of process" in the model even if the
observable outcomes "look similar."  I recall many posts on this subject.
3) Sunny Auyang talks about being able to look at a system from both
deterministic and stochastic viewpoints (thanks, Steve, for the reference),
the deterministic approach being fine-grained and the stochastic one being
coarse-grained.  Auyang says deterministic theories are prefferable, when
possible, but I think that in systems with only one reference system you
cannot use stochastic analysis to validate.  The nature of an ABM with
non-adaptive agents is deterministic, but if there is statistical data
available for the reference system you can use stochastic measures to analyse.
 4)  So this is my project:  I built an ABM of the inflammatory response with
cells as the agent level and used existing wet-lab data to formulate the rule
systems for the cells.  The only independent variable is initial injury.
There are pseudo-random numbers in the movement and pattern distribution of
injury and initial cells, but after that the system is purely deterministic
(these agents do not adapt).  I used as a measure of outcome a global damage
measure and the number of remaining infectious agents.  After getting a
distribution of outcomes over a range of initial injuries with the RNGs
seeded, I picked regions of interest and ran multiple (~500) interations of
the model with the RNGs turned back on.  Question:  Can I now use standard
statistical techniques like distribution, standard deviation etc to compare
the model to existing clinical data?  Furthermore, I programmed in an
intervention that was tested in a clinical trial, ran multiple iterations
with the RNGs on.  Can I compare this data set to the baseline with standard
statistical methods for significant difference?  The only conclusion I want
to draw is that there is a qualitative similarity between the behavior of the
model and the real world; no direct one to one mapping is intended.

Sorry for the length of the email.  I look forward to your critiques and
comments.

Yours,
Gary An, MD
Department of Trauma, Cook County Hospital