Re: clustering algorith

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: clustering algorith
Date: 25 Aug 2000 16:57:20 -0700

PJ> Can you point me at C/objc-c code that I can use to decide if
PJ> there are separate clusters in a set of points in 2D space and
PJ> then to sort the points among the clusters if they exist?

In R¹, try:

> library(mva)
> data(swiss)
> plot(hclust(dist(swiss)))

R's hclust² is implemented in Fortran, but it is only about 300 lines.
You could either link it in and use it with C or rewrite it in C by hand.

*Or* you could use the Java layer of R with the Java layer of Swarm.³
Then you could take the resulting point indices and draw colored
perimeters around clusters of these agents on a raster while a
simulation ran!  Woo hoo, Swarm models in pure S!

¹ http://www.r-project.org
² http://stat.ethz.ch/R-alpha/library/mva/html/hclust.html
  (src/library/mva/src/hclust.f, in the source distribution)
³ http://www.omegahat.org/RSJava