Re: network routing

From: Andre Costa
Subject: Re: network routing
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:10:46 +1030 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Georgi Kirov wrote:

> Hi,
> My name is Georgi Kirov. I'm Ph.D. student at Bulgarian Academy of
> Sciences. I work on my disertation based on intelligent agents for
> network routing. I have six publications about intelligent
> technologies in routing. I want to embed intelligent technologies in
> mobile agent for dynamic routing. But I have not enough experience in
> this field.  Is there free accessinble Swarm. Where can I find more about
> agents for dynamic routing.Can I use Swarm in network routing.

Hi,

my name is Andre Costa, I'm also a PhD student studying mobile agents for
routing in networks.

Swarm is ideal for this sort of multi-agent simulation, where agents move
around on a network and update routing tables according to some simple set
of rules (eg: mimicing biological ant pheremone trail formation).
I have written some simple simulations using Java/Swarm. There are
few limits to the level of complexity (from a research point of view)
which may be included in such a
network simulator; one is only limited by one's programming ability !

There are several websites to look at for dynamic routing using agents;
A good place to start is Marco Dorigo's Ant Colony Optimization website:

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~mdorigo/ACO/ACO.html

then follow the links to "papers on telecommunications networks".
Also of interest is the MIT Media Lab Software Agents group, although I'm
not sure that their work with routing is ongoing:

http://nelson.www.media.mit.edu/people/nelson/research/routes/

Also interesting is

http://www-iasc.enst-bretagne.fr/PROJECTS/SWARM/telecom.html

My main focus in currently on theoretical analysis, so I haven't developed
the simulation model a great deal, (anyone out there also working on
theoretical analysis of agent/Ant Colony Systems, I'd love to hear from
you !), but Swarm is certainly an ideal place to start for agent-based
routing simulations.

cheers,
Andre

Andre Costa
Research Student

Teletraffic Research Centre           Telephone: (08) 8303 3237
Department of Applied Mathematics     Fax:       (08) 8303 4395
University of Adelaide                Email:address@hidden
South Australia  5005