Re: A Distributed Swarm Model is now functioning

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: A Distributed Swarm Model is now functioning
Date: 15 Nov 2000 13:23:39 -0800

JS> An obvious question is what will we do with this code when we are
JS> done. I am still working out the details with our business folks,
JS> but I am confident that we can arrange for free availability of
JS> the code for academic use.

I hope you don't select such a restrictive license.

One way to encourge proprietary users to pay is to put the library
under the GPL.  That will require them to redistribute source code of
their models, which technically are derived works.  Most proprietary
users won't be willing to do that (it's their IP), and thus you have
leverage to get a licensing deal out of them.

JS> We have run into a number of problems and issues and are working
JS> with the Swarm developers to get these resolved.

Well, ok, but today would be the first I've heard about this project.