Re: Combining antropology & complexity science, anyone?

From: Jurgen van der Pol
Subject: Re: Combining antropology & complexity science, anyone?
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:19:26 +0200

LS,

Thanks *all* for the good comments (& references!) these past days on my above question, both through the Swarm & Starlogo digests as well as emailed directly. Suffice to say there is lots to think about for me the coming months.

I'd say from your comments that I've touched upon an issue of relevance as well as difficulties. Invariably, there is the trade-off between true representation of reality (an unachievable goal) and the level of abstraction that is acceptable (what is acceptable anyways?). Even when considering to model 'humans', there will be no avoidance. Seems to me that my next step is to explore both antropology as well as psychology to figure out a somewhat coherent set of 'human behavioral aspects'. I'll burn the bridge of what to do with that next when I get there so it's off the deep end I go...

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Jurgen.