Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Emergent culture in social systems

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Emergent culture in social systems
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:58:21 -0600

The Opinion model I've worked on has that element.  The code is online

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/MySwarmCode/OpinionFormation/Opinion-2.0.1.tar.gz

It is discussed in a book called Political Disagreement that Cambridge U Press just published. The authors are listed as R. Robert Huckfeldt, Paul E. Johnson, and John Sprague. In my modestly entitled directory MySwarmCode (in the URL above) you will find other models that I have worked on. Especially relevant for social science might be the Schelling neighborhood segregation model (look in the Schelling directory), the Latane et al "Social Impact" model (look in Social Impact), and the protest model (the one called "activists" in the Protest directory).

Good Luck
Paul Johnson

Diane McDonald wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to the list so please excuse my basic question.

I'm looking for some examples of simulations of social systems which
display emergent culture, trust or social capital. Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

Thanks,

Diane

Diane McDonald