Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Objective-C Wrapping for GSL

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Objective-C Wrapping for GSL
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:21:49 -0700

Hi Daniel,

I program objective-c apps for my phd research and would find it really interesting to have a mess around with your objective-c wrapper for gsl. How would I be able to do that?

As I recall, that discussion was not really about automated tools to do it, but just the logistics of physically copying code into Swarm. Anyway, the process of making a C function callable from Objective C is easy, even easier than C++. You just call the C function. Objective C is a superset of C. Most popular programming languages have some means to `reflect' on the methods inside their runtimes or processed by their compilers. The task is how to read this data to tell the Objective C runtime what kinds of incoming calls it should recognize, and how to issue those calls to the foreign runtime (and to do all of this with minimum execution overhead). Swarm implements two of these: Java and COM.