Re: [Swarm-Modelling] A New Agent Based Web Site is up and running

From: Luis R. Izquierdo
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] A New Agent Based Web Site is up and running
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 11:11:47 -0000

Dear Alessandro,

You might want to consider adding the following entries to the website:

PAPER WITH SOURCE CODE IN REPAST, AND USER GUIDE

Appearances Can Be Deceiving: Lessons Learned Re-Implementing Axelrod's 'Evolutionary Approach to Norms.'

J.M. Galán and L.R. Izquierdo have published a paper in JASSS based on a model entitled RAEAN (Re-implementation of Axelrod's "Evolutionary Approach to Norms"). This model is designed to replicate and extend Prof. Axelrod's metanorms model using Repast. The paper is available on the JASSS website at http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/8/3/2.html. More information can be found at the previous JASSS link or at http://www.insisoc.org/metanorms/, including the source code, a user guide, an API, an applet, and a link to the paper describing their work.

TECHNICAL PAPER

What every agent-based modeller should know about floating point arithmetic.

Polhill, J.G., Izquierdo, L.R. and Gotts, N.M. (2006)
Environmental Modelling & Software, 21 (3), March 2006. pp. 283-309.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/13648152

Abstract:

Floating point arithmetic is a subject all too often ignored, yet, for agent-based models in particular, it has the potential to create misleading results, and even to influence emergent outcomes of the model. Using a simple demonstration model, this paper illustrates the problems that accumulated floating point errors can cause, and compares a number of techniques that might be used to address them. We show that inexact representation of parameter values, imprecision in calculation results, and differing implementations of mathematical expressions can significantly influence the behaviour of the model, and create issues for replicating results, though they do not necessarily do so. None of the techniques offer a failsafe approach that can be applied in any situation, though interval arithmetic is the most promising.

PAPER WITH SOURCE CODE IN SWARM, AND USER GUIDE

Case-Based Reasoning, Social Dilemmas, and a New Equilibrium Concept

Luis R. Izquierdo, Nicholas M. Gotts and J. Gary Polhill (2004)

Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation vol. 7, no. 3

http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/7/3/1.html

Thank you very much indeed,
Luis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alessandro Perrone" <address@hidden> To: "Swarm Support" <address@hidden>; "Swarm GIS" <address@hidden>; "Steve Railsback" <address@hidden>; "Agent-based modeling" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:48 AM

Dear all Swarm users
As promised into Swarmfest 2004 here it is a new web site on Agent based modelling.
The URL is http://www.planetagents.org
I'd like to ask to anyone to help me to maintain and to grow this web site.
I encourage everyone to send me material for the web: explecially
 - CFP
 - references to Books
 - references to papers
 - technical Paper
 - Announcement.
In this web site, there's also a forum for every "most used" ABM.
To insert thread on forum, the user have to create a login into the site, it is free.
If someone has ideas to improve  the Web site, just e-mail to me.
From now, every day I'll insert materials on it.
Regards.
ALEX