ranlib question

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: ranlib question
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 95 23:48:32 MST

Just curious - are SysV people without ranlib finding the RANLIB
variable in Makefile.conf a suitable way to configure things? Does
/bin/true ignore its arguments on SysV? I sure hope so!

In general, Swarm configuration is pretty primitive by modern
standards. I hope to switch to GNU autoconf eventually so you don't
have to edit anything by hand, but autoconf isn't very good at finding
some of the libraries we need. Also, autoconf's real strength is in
fixing incompatibilities between various versions of libc, but we're
mostly aiming for portability that doesn't require ifdefs for special
OS versions.