archives and general heatbug question

From: Shan Duncan
Subject: archives and general heatbug question
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 14:26:30 -0500 (EST)

First trying to access the latest archives on web page
(list-archive.9602  list-archive.9603) generates a "Forbidden You don't
have permission to access..." message but the others are fine.

How about converting the archives with a hypermail program (something like
mhonarc) that will generate a index of all of the messages for each
archive?

http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/mhonarc.html

(I am sure there are other mail->html programs out there, mhonarc is just
the one I happen to find and use)

Second.  Has anyone played around with different values in heatbugs?

In the process of trying out swarm we loaded up heatbugs ran it and then
changed some of the default values.  For example try just changing the
diffusion constant to above 1... say 1.5.  A checkerboard like pattern
appears in our version and the "bugs" always move in a linear fashion from
the right to the left often forming streams of bugs along light
grey strings that form a boundary/diffuse barrier.

Try changing the evaporation rate to above 0.99... say 1.0.  In this case
it appears that the bugs will undergo a "phase change".  On our system it
is around time step 300 to time step 600.

We are still running the swarm-960110 release under Linux (gave up on aix
for the time being)

Interesting behavior.  Is it the demo or the implementation of the demo?

Now that we are using linux on a pentium we are now able to get our swarm
act together and will have a introduction in a short time.

Cheers,

-Shan

Dr. Shan D. Duncan
Center for the Integrative Study of Animal Behavior at Indiana University
402 N. Park Ave., Bloomington,  IN.  47405
address@hidden  or   address@hidden
(812) 855-5895         (812) 855-9663 (main office)    (812) 855-0411 (FAX)