Random number generators

From: Sven Thommesen
Subject: Random number generators
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 11:22:03 -0700

Manor,

one specific and two general questions:

a) I note that Heatbug makes a call to [uniformRandom <parameters>]. I'd
guess uniformRandom is an object of type Uniform - but where is it
defined?

b) Would it not be better if random number generators were NOT
automatically provided? Having to explicitly create them, and provide the
starting seeds, would make it more obvious that there are issues here
that the programmer needs to consider.

Certainly, for purposes of model replication, the value of starting seeds
needs to be stated explicitly -- allowing Swarm to use its ("randomly"
chosen) default seed won't do!

Also, it is probably not a good idea to use a single random number stream
to feed all 'users' of random numbers in a given application.
Conceptually independent events ought to be fed by different random
number streams, no?

c) Has anyone written the code to provide generators other than Uniform?

--Sven