RE: swarm on a DEC alpha machine

From: Roger M. Burkhart
Subject: RE: swarm on a DEC alpha machine
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:09:17 -0500

> I was compiling Swarm on a Digital UNIX machine (V3.2 148 alpha) and I haven't
> had errors or warnings (after setting the conf. files). But perhaps I didn't
> do the real build steps - I didn't invest too much time on this yet.
> What I did is 'make' in the swarm directory, where the Makefile.conf resides.
> I can send you the makefile if you wish, or try to help in any other way you
> can think of.

Glad to hear of build success on alpha.

> However when I tried to build in swarmapps (heatbugs) the 'make' didn't
> work and complains for 'Make: Don't know how to make -lspace.  Stop.'
> Anyone can help on this?
>
> Attached is the result of the 'make p' command.
> Thanks,
> Shai Digital/Israel

I don't know if it makes a difference here, but we do in general require
the gnu version of make.  Different OS versions may differ in the make
features we use.  Your make -p output doesn't look like gnu make output.

As I indicated before, we'll be wanting to shake out Swarm thoroughly on a
DEC alpha at some point, but aren't in a position to make a big investment
in time yet ourselves.

Roger Burkhart