Going postal from installing Swarm

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Going postal from installing Swarm
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:38:48 -0800

Hello there,

I used to like Swarm. I used to work with Swarm every day.
I wanted to tell the whole world about Swarm.

But then of course I had never actually had to install
Swarm myself.

You'll forgive me, I am going a bit postal here after spending
the better part of two days trying to install Swarm. My problem boils
down to this: I installed a fresh version of RedHat 4.0 with all
the bells and whistles on a Pentium 100 Mhz. This distribution
includes tcl7.5 and tk4.1 among other things, but of course
Swarm wants tcl7.4 and tk4.0.

To cut a long and very painful story short I made the mistake
of installing tcl7.4 and tk4.0 in the same directories as the later
versions, in the /usr hierarchy. After wasting numerous hours on getting
BLT2.1 to work, I changed my strategy and created a directory under
/usr/local/src, reinstalled the right (older) versions of tcl/tk there
and now was able to get BLT2.1 to compile and run the demos.

But now Swarm is stalling - the libraries make like a piece
of cake, but when I try to compile heatbugs all hell breaks loose
at the link stage: From the billions of error messages that
spew out it seems that the linker is still searching in the
/usr/lib directory, finding the _newer_ version of tk/tcl and
then everything goes haywire (only a conjecture, though).

I pray that someone can tell me what to do: For example can I get Swarm
to forget about tk4.1/tcl7.5 and use the older versions that I have in
/usr/local/src/*.? Which files have to be linked, variables and paths
reset etc.?

Regards,
-Benedikt

[I am skipping a lot of hurdles/small glitches/patches here along
the way, which I hope to write up and share with interested parties
once I have actually accomplished the task of getting Swarm to run
on the damn box - by the way thanks Pietro Terna for the writeup
on installing Swarm on Linux you posted the other day.]

Benedikt Stefansson                 address@hidden
Center for Computable Economics     Tel. (310) 825-1777
Department of Economics, UCLA       Fax. (310) 825-9528
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1477          http://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu