GA & GP

From: Kyle Chuang
Subject: GA & GP
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 20:22:48 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
        I have a questiong regarding GA (Genetic Algorithm) & GP (Genetic
Programming). Sorry if this is too basic for the discussion group.

What *exactly* is the difference between GA & GP?  I've developed a model
with GA for competitive analysis and have started to investigate into GP.
Despite all the papers I've read, however, I do not see a difference
between them.  It seems that the only difference is that GA's optimization
gives specific instructions (such as if temperature = 79 change pressure
to 59) where as GP would give ( pressure = temperature - 20).  Could
someone please help me and clearify this?

Kyle Chuang
The Wharton School