Re: uploading

From: Tony
Subject: Re: uploading
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 23:50:14 -0500

> Netscape 3.01 (not gold) has this ability. Just look under the 'file'
> menu and there should be an upload entry. At least mine does... I've
> even used it so I know it works (on linux anyways).

whoops...my Netscape 3.01 (Win95) also has the upload option, it just isn't
working yet.
I found this on Netscape's site:

PROBLEM:

Customer connects to an FTP site outside of the firewall.
Customer has a proxy server configured in Navigator. The proxy
configuration is for  both HTTP and FTP on port 80. After connecting
to the FTP site outside the fire wall customer wishes to upload
a file. The customer selects file but cannot select Upload because
it is grayed out and unavailable.

SOLUTION:

Navigator talks HTTP to the proxy and will do so for FTP communications
through the proxy. Because Navigator has no way of knowing whether
it is receiving an HTML page or an HTML page representing a directory,
Navigator must rely on the presence of a "/" (slash) at the end of
the  URL for the FTP site.

Example: ftp://ftp.netscape.com/

The presence of a "/" at the end of the URL will tell Navigator that
the proxied FTP page it is looking at is a directory thereby allowing
the Upload functionality. Some proxy servers will not return a "/" at
the end of an FTP URL. This will inhibit the Upload option. The
solution in these instances is to  manually put a slash at the end of
the FTP URL.

Note: Even when Netscape Navigator enables Upload File on an FTP page,
the HTTP proxy must support the use of PUT. IF the HTTP proxy does not
support the use of HTTP PUT you will not be able to Upload a file
through the HTTP proxy. In these cases we propose to not configure a
FTP proxy in Navigator and use our firewall transparently (ie use the
FTP proxy).