Re: modelling theory!

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Re: modelling theory!
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 17:44:26 -0500

>Epstein and Axtell suggest that we are engaged in 'generative science': we
>are looking for micro-specifications (i.e. agent behaviors) that are
>capable of generating a given macro behavior.

That's all well and good. But when you're working with a natural macro
system, finding the *correct* set of micro rules is awfully tricky.
Parsimony, sensibility, none of these are necessarily guarantees
you've found the right thing. I worry that this sort of research is on
very shaky philosophical ground. Which doesn't mean I don't think it's
interesting or useful, just hard.