Re: Digest?

From: Dwight Wilson
Subject: Re: Digest?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 97 09:19:29 EST

>> How does this sound to others?  I, personally, prefer digests for
>> high traffic lists.  The only problem is that the response slows
>> down to the frequency of the digest.  I.e. if I have a problem
>> in the morning and the digest doesn't come out till the evening,
>> then I probably have to wait till the next day for any possible
>> message by message distribution.
>>
>> Any opinions?
>
>Perhaps the new theoretical list could have digests, but I'd prefer that
>the support list be kept undigested. This is mainly for the reasons glen
>gave above. I recently had a problem that I was able to solve in just a
>few hours because of this mailing list (thanks again glen), if it were
>digested, this problem could have taken me a few days instead and wasted
>a log of time.

This isn't really an either/or situation.  Some list software, and
I believe this includes majordomo, supports both digest and non-digest
versions of a list.  Why not support this for the list(s) and allow
individual users to choose which form they want?

The only problem is the inevitable traffic arising from some clown
accidently subscribing to both forms.

-Dwight