Problems with binaries installation on Debian Linux

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Problems with binaries installation on Debian Linux
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 08:23:06 -0700

Benedikt Stefansson writes:
 > I'm sorry to dump a bunch of linker error code into the mailing-list,

Don't apologize!  That's what it's for!

 > but I had a bizarre experience trying to install the Swarm Linux
 > binaries on a Debian Linux box last night. I've never seen these type of
 > errors before. They are obviously related to GCC and the objc libs.
 >
 > First a stupid question: Are the current Linux binaries compatible with
 > Debian?
 > Secondly, could the fact that this box has gcc-2.7.2.1 be the source of
 > the conflict?

Hmmm.  There shouldn't be anything fundamentally incompatible
between slackware (which is what it was compiled under) and
Debian.  I would suspect the chip to be more of a problem than
the linux distribution.  But! the chips shouldn't be a problem
either.

So, it's bound to be the compiler/loader.

 > reaches the link phase. In particular I was wondering if anybody could
 > tell me what all these complaints about 'objc_free' & 'objc_malloc'
 > where about, and also
 > the posix-thread stuff.

Yeah, the errors seem to imply that the libobjc.a is where the problem
is.  But, I can't tell from the linker errors if it's purely internal
to your compiler or if it's because you're linking with stuff I
compiled.  Can you compile straight objective C code without linking
to Swarm?  If you can, then either you should downgrade or you
should recompile the whole thing.

glen
p.s. Another option is for me to get the latest gcc and the latest
snapshot of objc and see if I can recreate the error.  But, I hate
trying to keep two gcc's on my system.  So, let me know if you're
able to compile objc without linking to swarm and we'll see where
to go from there.