Re: re getCurrentTime(): solved

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: re getCurrentTime(): solved
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 15:31:54 -0600

Rick has accurately described my initial expectations,
given that (time-wise, at least) my app is not more
complex than Heatbugs.

Anyhow, my app now runs fine. Here's how:

Replacing "getCurrentTime()" with
"[[self getActivity] getCurrentTime]"
in swarms and subswarms worked fine.

As for the agents, who are subclassed from SwarmObject
and thus evidently born without a sense of time, executing
[[parentSwarm getActivity] getCurrentTime] does it
(assuming the new id 'parentSwarm' was set at create time).

I can now hit my button before the sim starts, while
it is running, and while it is stopped, without any
rude surprises.

One problem down, aleph-null to go ...

Cheers,
Sven

PS: Perhaps Glen could further muddy the waters:
is it, in Swarm, possible for different (sub-)Swarms to
have their own sense of time get out of sync with
each other? [And how does the answer depend on
whether we have serial or parallell Swarm? :-) ]
If they do, what is the relationship between such
sub-swarm clocks and any master Global Time clock?

If the answer is yes, they *can* get out of sync,
then perhaps the macro is a dangerous thing that
shouldn't be there?

--S