RE: record & replay of probe activity

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: RE: record & replay of probe activity
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 14:39:23 -0500

Rick & Steve:

I believe we discussed at Swarmfest a concept that went a little beyond
what you are getting at here: instead of thinking in terms of 'setting a
variable', think in terms of arbitrary messages being sent to specified
objects. These messages *may* just alter some variable, or may cause the
receiver to alter its behavior in a more complex way. Or perhaps it
triggers a cascade of messages being sent to other objects...

While much of this can be done using the existing Swarm scheduling
mechanism (taking input from that saved log file / edited log file / brand
new script file) -- there's a possible problem: how do you schedule a
message to an object (agent) who hasn't been created yet (but presumably
will exist by the time the message is to be delivered) ?

I strongly support the inclusion of a facility like this in Swarm, because
it will allow us not only to replay simulations where the operator
interacted with  the application, but also to create simulations that play
out a script that represents a possible history of (external?) events.

Sven Thommesen
Auburn University