Re: One chance to allocate XColormap color, why?

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Re: One chance to allocate XColormap color, why?
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 17:35:17 -0400

>My question is why this limitation was put into the XColormap class?

Poor design by the original implementor (me). If the allocation fails,
the colormap shouldn't mark the colour as allocated at all. An
unsetcolor method is a reasonable hack workaround.

The biggest problem is that the Colormap stuff is very 8 bit display
oriented, and is unsuitable for many contemporary uses. Java's use of
Color objects is reasonably good, that might be a model for a better
design. Or maybe we'll get it for free when the Java interface to
Swarm is finished.