NT version of Swarm?

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: NT version of Swarm?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 08:27:40 -0600

James Marshall writes:
 > Hello all,
 >   I`ve just joined this list, but looking through the archives see
 > that there was a thread back in May about porting Swarm to
 > Windows NT. Does anyone here know if this project has
 > progressed? Thanks,
 >      James

We're progressing!  We now have a Windows NT version of Heatbugs
running.  It incorporates a control panel and a raster.  But, we don't
yet have the BLT equivalents for Java (the time series and histogram
objects) or probes.  It is definitely coming along.  We are also
changing the way the simulation is controlled.  Since our Java GUI
will be a separate thread from our ObjC engine, it will be necessary
to provide some data structure locking to keep both threads from
accessing the same data structure at the same time.  What we decided
to do was pipe control commands through the Schedule mechanism where
possible.  This allows us to avoid some of the specific grey area
we've had between the GUISwarm, the control panel, and Tcl/Tk.

I'm going to try to put the new control structure and some changes
necessary in the packaging of the libs into a 1.0.4 release prior
to the release of the Java Gui version.

We'll try to post a more official status report soon.

To those of you who have asked for copies of the NT version... It's
simply too soon.  To give this to anyone right now would result in
more questions than we could field and take significant time away
from development... thus delaying the release even more.  We plan
on having it out by the end of this month.

glen
--
{glen e. p. ropella <address@hidden> |  Send lawyers, guns, and money!  }
{Hive Drone, SFI Swarm Project         |            Hail Eris!            }