Probe displays

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Probe displays
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 17:38:20 -0500

Marcus,

in the ObserverSwarm we used to be able to say

   ppdMS = [probeDisplayManager createProbeDisplayFor: modelSwarm];

This would return the object id for the newly created object so that I
could access it.

The 'new' way of doing it has us say

   CREATE_ARCHIVED_PROBE_DISPLAY(modelSwarm);

which unfortunately seems to 'return' a void.

Simtoolsgui.h defines

   #define CREATE_ARCHIVED_PROBE_DISPLAY(anObject) \
      createArchivedProbeDisplayNamed(anObject,#anObject)

which is defined above this way:

   void createArchivedProbeDisplayNamed(id obj, const char *name);

On the other hand, the ProbeDisplayManager protocol defines a method

   -createArchivedProbeDisplayFor: anObject variableName: (const char *) name;

I haven't been able to find the connection between the last two, and
attempts to insert substituted code directly into mine bombs at the token
pasting.

What's the easiest way to get a handle on (pointer to) the newly created
probe display object?

--Sven