Re: Objective C - C++ interface

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Objective C - C++ interface
Date: 26 May 1998 16:50:28 -0700

VJ> Glen mentioned in a private e-mail that Hive members are
VJ> considering using Xerox's ILU with Swarm.  Could Marcus or
VJ> somebody from Hive team, describe their plans in more detail?

VJ> I am willing to help out with creating mapping from IDL/ISL to
VJ> Objective-C ...

Cool!

Well, we don't have firm plans.  It would be nice to support ILU, but
relying on ILU is probably out for licensing reasons.

In the next release of Swarm, all interfaces to will be Objective C
protocols.  We've written elisp for loading protocol files (including
data structures for macros and global variables) into Lisp objects and
can dump them in whatever format, e.g. SGML, IDL, or even C, if
necessary.

ORB-wise, we haven't started on an Objective C mapping, but I don't think
that will be too hard.  My understanding was that GNOME hackers might
work on that for MICO.  Also, I heard there was another release of Flick
http://www.cs.utah.edu/projects/flux/flick -- Flick looks like it might be
useful for Swarm things (it's generates fast stubs).