Re: Re-scaling in EZGraph

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Re-scaling in EZGraph
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 11:23:06 -0600

At 11:25 AM 5/29/98 -0700, you wrote:
>This is just a friendly request/idea. It would useful if you could
>re-scale the X & Y axes on EZGraphs, particularly the time/X axis.
>Although I'm willing to buy that time is best a unsigned long int for
>computational reasons, for a given simulation it is often something you
>want to think of as a decimal. It is possible to gain some
>decimal representation by rescaling within the simulation, but then I'd
>like to see time in my graphs, the way I want to think about, not the way
>the computer does. Ergo, rescaling the time axis. Sure, you can do this
>with BLT Graph with some ease, but it seems simple and widely useful
>enough that it would be nice to have it in EZGraph.

I agree completely.  And this seems like an ideal thing for a
user to code up and submit. [grin]  After I get to a stopping
point on my current (late) project, and after I write the
zoomraster howto, maybe I'll do it.

It would be nice to have a whole suite of mapping functions
to map one scale to another.  For instance, it might be nice
to have a kind of Transform superclass under which we might
have boilerplate subclasses that, say, map a linear scale
to a log scale, or any other uni-dimensional warping function.
(This strikes me as a generalization that would include EZBin
as well.)  Then we can lump together uni-dimensional mappings
to create higher dimensional mappings.  We could use these to
do things like optimizing models by using higher resolution in
interesting parts of, say, a space or data structure, and lower
resolution in the more uninteresting parts.  (Note that I said
optimizing *models*, not execution. [grin])

glen

glen